source: learn next
Rules:IUPAC of Aliphatic compounds having poly functional groups-
1)A compound is polyfunctional if it contains more than one functional group. The multiple bond is also considered as a functional group. If two or more functional groups are present then one group is chosen as Principal functional group & other is secondary functional group.
2) Principal functional group is mentioned with its suffix while secondary functional group with their prefix.
3) Principal functional group is that group which occupy higher position in the PRIORITY TABLE.
4) The first step in the naming of polyfunctional compounds is the selection of principal functional group. the Principal functional group gives the class name of the structure.
5) The IInd step is the selection of parent chain. Parent chain includes maximum number of functional groups & principal functional group.
6) The IIIrd step is the numbering of parent chain. Parent chain is numbered in such a way that lowest number is given to the principal functional group.
7) If two substituents of same seniority ( like -Cl,-Br ) occupy identical position in relation to the end of the chain, then lowest number should be given to the substituent in alphabetical order.
8) Alkyl group & secondary functional groups are named in alphabetical order.